Discover our AMRs – The mobile bases for your research and business
In robotics, Autonomous Mobile Robots (AMRs) are able to understand their surroundings and navigate independently in various settings, as well as being easy to implement in different types of organisation. PAL Robotics offers a range of AMRs, or mobile robot bases designed for various applications. In this blog, we will compare the PAL Robotics’ mobile bases: TIAGo Base, TIAGo OMNI Base, and ARan. We will explore the features, strengths, and use cases of each base, providing insights into their unique capabilities to help you make an informed choice on which mobile base is the right fit for your organisation.
AMRs can be categorised both by the weight they carry (payload) and their drive (differential drive or omnidrive). Other considerations may include speed and runtime, vision and cameras, safety in dynamic environments, and whether the robot is customisable with different types of add-ons.
PAL Robotics’ TIAGo Base AMR for autonomous indoor deliveries:
PAL Robotics’ TIAGo Base is a reliable and versatile mobile base designed for indoor deliveries in industry and business. The robot offers the following key features:
- Differential drive system: equipped with two independent wheels, TIAGo Base provides smooth and precise manoeuvrability in various environments.
- Payload capacity: with a payload capacity of up to 100kg, the robot is able to transport different types of goods, making TIAGo Base suitable to automate tasks such as the delivery of parts to support the production line in manufacturing.
- Extensive sensor integration: TIAGo Base includes various sensors, such as cameras, LIDAR, and depth sensors, enabling robust perception capabilities.
- Modular design: TIAGo Base allows for easy customisation and expansion, accommodating different item delivery requirements.
Strengths of TIAGo Base:
- Experience: TIAGo Base has been operational since 2014 and is one of the most experienced mobile bases in the market.
- Autonomous solution: an Autonomous Mobile Robot (AMR) that uses an advanced set of sensors and software to safely navigate without following any guide.
- Quickly and easily set up: you can also change your robots’ tasks on the go through our web GUI or via your ERP system.
- Battery life to meet business needs: offers 10 hours of continuous use and if the mobile robot runs out of battery in the middle of a task, Fleet Control Software can autonomously send another TIAGo Base to take over. The robot is also programmable to work the hours your business needs.
- Customisable following your requirements: use our intuitive Web GUI, compatible with multiple devices (tablet, computer, mobile, etc).
Use cases of TIAGo Base:
- Logistics and warehousing: the TIAGo Base AMR is deployed in logistics and warehousing environments. The robot autonomously navigates through dynamic environments, to transport objects, and interact with operators, shelving units, or conveyor systems.
- Healthcare: in healthcare settings, the TIAGo Base AMR assists with tasks like delivery of medications, supplies, and documents within hospitals and clinics.
- Hospitality and Retail: the TIAGo Base AMR has applications in the hospitality and retail sectors, and is able to help with tasks such as autonomously transporting goods in stores and hotels.
- Industrial automation: the TIAGo Base AMR is integrated into industrial environments to automate repetitive or hazardous tasks. This includes navigating through factory floors, transporting components and materials, and interacting with machinery or production lines.
TIAGo Base is used by TIAGo, PAL Robotics mobile manipulator that has become a standard platform for research worldwide.
PAL Robotics’ TIAGo OMNI Base for manoeuvrability in tight spaces:
PAL Robotics’ TIAGo OMNI Base is an autonomous mobile base, equipped with an omnidirectional drive that provides exceptional manoeuvrability and agility. The robot’s key features include:
- Omni-directional mobility: with four independent motors driving omnidirectional mecanum wheels, TIAGo OMNI Base moves in any direction, making the robot highly flexible in tight spaces.
- Payload capacity: TIAGo OMNI Base offers a payload capacity of up to 100kg, for the transportation of various types of goods.
- Scalability: the modular design of TIAGo OMNI Base allows for scalability, facilitating the addition of sensors or customised modules to suit specific project needs.
- Sensor integration: the solution has two LIDAR sensors for an unobstructed 360º FOV secure movement, including autonomous navigation, obstacle detection and path planning.
- Path planning: users are able to take full advantage of the manoeuvrability offered by TIAGo’s omnidrive base for path planning.
- Visual Programming: non-robotics experts can also define and run tasks with an easy-to-use GUI based on drag-and-drop visual blocks.
Strengths of TIAGo OMNI Base:
In addition to being an autonomous solution, that’s quickly and easily set up, customisable to meet business requirements, TIAGo OMNI Base offers the following benefits:
- 360 degrees of movement: the omni-directional mobility of TIAGo OMNI Base enables the robot to navigate through complex environments and perform intricate manoeuvres
- Agile and responsive: the base’s design ensures quick response times and high agility, allowing for dynamic interactions and rapid changes in direction.
- High traction: optimal navigation results including on uneven surfaces.
- 10 hours of continuous operation: provides up to 10 hours of uninterrupted operation. Moreover, the robot is programmable to accommodate specific business working hours.
Use cases of TIAGo OMNI Base:
As well as being suitable for research, logistics and warehousing, healthcare, hospitality, and industrial automation, TIAGo OMNI Base also offers the following:
- Operating in constrained spaces: the 360 degrees of movement of TIAGo OMNI Base is advantageous for tasks that demand precise control in tight spaces.
- Indoor navigation and exploration: with the robot’s agility and responsiveness, TIAGo OMNI Base is well-suited for autonomous exploration, mapping, and navigation in indoor settings.
- Human-robot collaboration: the base’s ability to move in any direction allows for seamless collaboration with humans, making TIAGo OMNI Base suitable for research on human-robot teamwork or assistance in interactive environments.
PAL Robotics’ ARan for indoor deliveries in harsh environments:
PAL Robotics’ ARan is a robust autonomous mobile base designed for industrial and research applications, as a natural evolution of TIAGo Base. Its key features include:
- Robust construction: ARan is built to withstand harsh environments thanks to the built-in high-quality insulation system to protect electronics from traces of water on the ground, and handles heavy loads up to 150kg with ease.
- A wide field of vision: the robot has a wide 245º Field of View (FoV) LiDAR and two RGB-D cameras to obtain 3D environment perception and for richer data collection.
- Advanced safety features: ARan is equipped with safety features like an emergency stop button and advanced obstacle avoidance system thanks to fusing data from LiDAR and the two RGBD cameras, which are also used to detect steps or holes in the floor, ensuring safe operation in any environment.
- AI and computing power: ARan integrates an NVIDIA Jetson GPU for high-performance computing power and advanced AI use.
- State-of-the-art software and sensors: ARan has state-of-the-art software and sensors to navigate complex environments and fit a wide range of applications, as well as autonomous navigation, SLAM, obstacle detection, and path planning.
- Visual Programming: ARan is also equipped with this extremely useful graphical interface for both experts and non-robotics expert users.
Strengths of ARan:
- 245º Field of View (FoV): the better the sensing capabilities of an AMR, the more effectively the robot will perform. Additionally, a larger field-of-view for each sensor enhances ARan’s practicality.
- Sensor fusion: off-the-shelf fusion of data from both LiDAR and RGB-D cameras to enhance reliability and safety.
- Heavy-duty performance: ARan’s robust design and high payload capacity make the robot an excellent choice for industrial applications that require transporting heavy loads or machinery.
- Industrial-grade reliability: built to endure challenging conditions, ARan ensures reliable operation in demanding environments, reducing downtime and maintenance costs.
- Enhanced safety: the advanced safety features of ARan provide a secure working environment, making the robot suitable for applications in manufacturing, agrifood, logistics, or construction.
- Scalability: ARan lets the user access communication ports, power supply, I/O ports, and whatever is needed to extend the base’s capabilities and to integrate other equipment or robots on top of ARan.
Use cases of ARan:
- Warehouses and industry: with its robust design and navigational abilities, the ARan robot is well-suited for warehouse operations. ARan efficiently moves goods, assists with order fulfillment, and optimises logistics processes. By automating repetitive tasks, the robot enhances warehouse operations, increases throughput, and minimises human error.
- Agrifood: ARan’s primary function as an autonomous mobile robot for deliveries can also be leveraged in agrifood settings, in order to transport supplies, equipment, or food between different areas of a food production facility. This increases efficiency, and allows human workers to focus on more complex tasks.
- Retail: in retail environments, our AMR is able to navigate through store aisles autonomously. The robot is able to carry out repetitive delivery tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Healthcare: ARan’s versatility extends to healthcare settings, where the robot is set to assist with tasks like delivery of medical supplies, and logistics support within hospitals or care facilities. ARan navigates through complex environments while adhering to safety protocols, ensuring timely and accurate delivery of critical resources.
- Research and Development: ARan is suitable for research and development projects in academia and industry. ARan’s design allows researchers to extend the base’s capabilities and test new algorithms and robotic systems.
When it comes to mobile bases, PAL Robotics offers a diverse range of options to cater to various industrial, research, healthcare, and commercial needs. The TIAGo Base excels in versatility and is customisable and extendible, making the robot suitable for a number of applications. The TIAGo OMNI Base’s 360 degrees of movement and agility are well-suited for precise navigation and movement in tight spaces and on uneven floors. Finally, ARan’s cutting-edge technology, wide Field of View, and advanced safety features make the robot an excellent choice for applications in harsh environments and as the most technologically advanced mobile base by PAL Robotics.
Understanding the features, strengths, and use cases of each autonomous mobile robot will help you select the most suitable option for your specific requirements. Whether it’s industrial automation, healthcare, or research for Human-Robot Interaction in industry, PAL Robotics’ mobile bases offer a solid foundation for your AMR.
Learn more about TIAGo Base, TIAGo OMNI Base, and ARan on our website. We can even design and manufacture a mobile base specifically for you! To talk with our experts to find out more about which type of mobile robot base may be right for your organisation, get in touch with us. If you liked this article, don’t miss all our robotics news on PAL Robotics blog.