PAL Robotics is opening a Call for loan of 6 TIAGo Steel and 4 TIAGo Iron robots to teams who want to participate in the 1st ERL SciRoc Challenge. As SciRoc Platinum Sponsors, we offer the possibility of loaning a TIAGo to make it easier for teams to participate in this new and challenging robotics competition.
Breaking news! Teams showing outstanding expertise and innovative developments will have the chance to receive one of the TIAGo Steel and one of the TIAGo Iron robots for free. The application deadline has been extended! You have time to submit your proposals until Friday, February 1st.
The SciRoc Challenge: robots assisting in Smart Cities
The first SciRoc Challenge merges tasks that robots have to accomplish in the different ERL Leagues: Consumer, Professional, and Emergency. These selected tasks are integrated into a Smart Shopping Mall, where service robots like TIAGo help customers and create an innovative shopping experience. In fact, it is highly recommendable for SciRoc participating teams to take part in an ERL Consumer Tournament as a previous training. The 1st SciRoc Challenge will take place in Milton Keynes (UK) from September 16th to September 22nd, 2019.
TIAGo for robotics competitions
TIAGo has proven its robustness and reliability in several international competitions – see the RoboCup@Home, the ERL-SR, the WRS, and the MMH. Its modularity and expansion opportunities are two features that teams highly value in competitions.
Besides the onboard sensors and equipment, teams can hack TIAGo by connecting devices to expand its capabilities even more, from extra microphones to AI-devices or extra cameras. This way, teams could adjust TIAGo’s skills to their specific needs and goals. TIAGo is 100% ROS based: remember that it has a public simulation model online along with a comprehensive set of tutorials that you can try even if you don’t have the robot.
The main difference between TIAGo Iron and Steel models is whether it has the 7-DoF arm. TIAGo Iron provides navigation, perception and Human-Robot Interaction skills. The Steel model adds to that list the grasping and manipulation skills in different heights – it is even able to reach the floor.
Steps to participate
Teams can apply to both types, TIAGo Steel and Iron, but can eventually receive only one. The first step to apply is to accomplish with a set of requirements, and email firstname.lastname@example.org including the following documentation:
- Contact details for the team leader. University teams must also supply contact details for an academic supervisor.
- A one-page executive summary of the application.
- The team’s motivations behind their application.
- One-page CVs of the team members.
- A detailed description of the team’s specialisms and expertise, as well as past research and other achievements (limited to two pages).
- Videos of past achievements (with real robots or simulators).
- List of target episodes of the SciRoc challenge (the more episodes the more potential value the application will have).
- Detailed descriptions of how the teams plan to use the TIAGo to fulfill the tasks in each selected episode.
- Teams might be requested further documentation in case of need.
We strongly encourage teams to participate and apply for having a TIAGo to compete! Participating in robotics tournaments like the SciRoc Challenge or ERL triggers knowledge, reinforces collaboration between teams and enhances the whole robotics field. Good luck to all candidates!